The Mile High Blues Society presents, the 2018 Denver Blues Challenge
for the Blues Foundation IBC to be held in Memphis, Tennessee from January 16 through 20, 2018.
The 2018 International Blues Challenge
Mile High Blues Society
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED!
Once all of the applications have been verified we will announce which acts will perform on which dates of the competitions!
January 16-20, 2018 - Memphis, TN
34th International Blues Challenge
The Blues Foundation has made changes to the rules they will use in Memphis for the 34th IBC.
We will follow their rules as closely as possible.
Raw scores for Originality will be multiplied by three
Raw scores for Talent and for Vocals will be multiplied by two
Raw scores for Stage Presence will be multiplied by two
The maximum Total Weighted Score an act may receive is 130.
All acts MUST announce PRIOR to performing during the preliminary and final rounds, the song titles, who owns the copyright to the song, and if the song is an original or a cover. The Originality category has been increased to a multiple of three. Acts are welcome to perform a mix of covers and originals, all of one or the other, but must announce owner of the material.
Welcome to the Mile High Blues Society’s 2018 International Blues Challenge.
There are two categories in which acts may compete – (1) Band Competition and (2) Solo / Duo Competition.
Entry fee is $40 per Act and each Act must have a current BAND membership with the Mile High Blues Society in good standing and paid. The FINAL winning ACTS must have a BAND MHBS membership that is paid THROUGH FEBRUARY 2018.
Individuals are allowed, and encouraged, to compete in both the Band and Solo/Duo competitions all the way up to and through the Finals. But please keep in mind if any Act wins at the Finals in both categories they will have to make a decision at that point in time as to which Act they will compete with in Memphis.
The winner of each category will go on to represent the Mile High Blues Society in the Blues Foundation’s 2017 International Blues Challenge (IBC) in Memphis, Tennessee to be held January 16-20, 2018
The MHBS competitions will be held at Ziggies in Denver
Registration is between May 1, 2017 and June 12, 2017 (5pm, mountain time)
Submissions and payment must be received NO LATER THAN June 12, 2017 at 5pm.
Paper entries must be post marked NO LATER THAN June 12, 2015 and mailed to:
Mile High Blues Society
P. O. Box 12464
Denver, Colorado 80212-2464
Scoring Categories and Definitions:
- Blues Content: The sound and feel of the music should be true to any of blues sub-categories: traditional blues, country blues, soul blues, blues rock and/or contemporary blues. Judges will be listening for inspired and original song selections or new takes on blues standards. Creative reach is encouraged.
- Originality: Original work is encouraged. Cover tunes are allowed but playing the recorded rendition lick by lick is discouraged, will not be looked upon favorably by the judges, and will be reflected in scoring.
- Acts must indicate if their songs are their own original material (this can be done at the start of the set or before each song as appropriate) and/or identify the covers that they are playing and acknowledge the originator.
- Vocals: The act’s vocal skills to include concepts of tone, musicality, meaning, and expression.
- Instrumental Talent: Ability level on all instruments featured within the act.
- Stage Presence: The ability to command the attention of the audience by the impressiveness of one’s manner and appearance on stage. Judges will consider how an act connects with and engages the audience in the music. Proper use of microphones and amplification will be considered.
Basic Scoring Calculation:
Judges will score acts on a 10 point scale, with 10 points being the highest score received and 1 point being the lowest. The following weights will be used in calculating final scores:
- Raw scores for Blues Content will be multiplied by four
- Raw scores for Originality will be multiplied by three
- Raw scores for Talent and for Vocals will be multiplied by two
- Raw scores for Stage Presence will be multiplied by two
The maximum Total Weighted Score an act may receive from the judges is 130.
Each judge will account for 30% of the total vote each, totaling 90%.
TEN PERCENT (10%) OF THE SCORE WILL BE FROM BALLOTS CAST BY FANS, WHO ARE CURRENT MHBS MEMBERS, ATTENDING THE DENVER BLUES CHALLENGE. IT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO GET AS MANY OF YOUR FANS TO THE SHOW AS POSSIBLE. To become a MHBS Member you can sign up on the JOIN! link on our website or click HERE.
An act will be penalized one point from its Total Weighted Score for each of the following:
- Missing act check-in or act registration on the day of the event
- Excessive time loading-in before and/or loading out after a competition performance - each act is allotted 5 minutes to set up and 5 minutes to tear down and be off of the stage.
- Failing to acknowledge that a song is a cover and/or not giving credit to its originator
- Each ten seconds that it runs overtime during a competition performance.
- Finishing 3 or more minutes before its allotted performance time expires.
- Showing up late and/or missing performance order drawing at Preliminary or Finals
- Showing up late and/or not being ready to perform on time.
BLUES CHALLENGE FORMAT
Preliminary sets will be 25 minutes long, with 10 minutes between sets. The Final sets will be 20 minutes long, with 10 minutes between sets. Five minutes to tear down - Five minutes to set up. Penalty points may be deducted if you exceed the allocated five minutes.
STAGING AND EQUIPMENT
The Mile High Blues Society will provide backline and sound. The setup on stage will include a drum kit with snare drum, amplifiers, and microphones. Drummers should bring their own cymbals and kick pedals (Yes, you will need your cymbals, you might want to bring your own snare too) and Harmonica players CAN (but are not required) bring their own harp amp. Keyboard players must bring their own keyboards and keyboard amps. Effects racks and other auxiliary equipment are permitted
Competitors are prohibited from bringing their own amplifiers (keyboard amps being the only exceptions.) Please bring a DI (if you use one) every effort will be made to provide suitable equipment.
The Mile High Blues Society reserves the right to approve or restrict any and all equipment an entrant wishes to bring on stage.
Microphones will be provided. Competitors are welcome to use their own microphone if they wish.
ORDER OF APPEARANCE
Preliminary Rounds - Sunday, June 25, July 16 and July 23 is an overflow date if necessary (this will be determined based on the number of acts who have registered)
Finals - Sunday, August 6, 2017
We will work to manage any scheduling conflicts as they arise. Please be prepared to compete on all of these dates to minimize conflicts.
Once all acts have registered the acts will be divided up as equally as possible on performance dates.
The performance ORDER for each act will be randomly drawn at Ziggies an hour before the start of each event, on the day of the event.